Pages

Thursday 18 February 2016

My Publications

Anti-Bullying Video



This is an Anti-Bullying video that I co-created with Bianca DeSouza and Victoria DeBellis when we were Teacher Candidates at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology in 2015. This video was created for the SHARE: Great Educational Technology Challenge that was organized by the Peace Grantmakers Network.

As an educator, I would use this resource to introduce/teach about anti-bullying to my students. I would also co-create a teach chart (looks like/sounds like chart). One of the most important things I would do with my students is role play as I believe it holds utmost importance. I feel that if a student has practice defending themselves in role play situations that they are more likely to defend themselves if the situation should actually arise.

Research Paper: Comparison of Structured and Open-Ended Programming 

In 2014, I conducted first hand research, analyzed raw data, and utilized my findings as well as current theories to produce my very own research paper which compares the differences between structured and open-ended programming within an aftercare setting. My research concluded that open-ended programming allows children to demonstrate a greater sense of independence.

As an educator, this influenced my practice in that I strive to provide open-ended learning opportunities that are play-based, inquiry-based, and experimental/hands on. I also strive to ensure that the questions I pose for my students are open-ended as well (ones requiring more than just a yes or no response).

You may e-mail me at: educate.invest.inspire@gmail.com should you wish to obtain a copy of the research.

Author of We can SIGN Our ABC’s



In 2013, I created and published a book titled, "We Can SIGN Our ABC's". This book is was created to serve as a teaching tool to provide people with a basic understanding of American Sign Language so they are able to effectively communicate with a person who is hearing impaired or deaf. My intended audience was for children. This book would teach Children: The alphabet, how to sign it, letter recognition, uppercase/lowercase letters, and simple sentences. I donated $5 from every book sold to the Canadian Helen Keller Centre to support their programs and initiatives in supporting the hearing and visually impaired. My mother is both hearing and visually impaired and accesses their services, which allowed me to see the extent in which those services supports others.

As an educator, this influenced my practice by allowing me to have access to more resources in order to teach the students in my class (after care program at the time) American Sign Language. I also taught my students our National Anthem in American Sign Language.