Pages

Thursday 3 January 2019

Behaviour Management Strategies Part 2

Over the years as a Teacher, I have adapted certain behaviour management strategies that work best with varying situations. Each situation will require an individual response based on the severity of the situation and the student's history, triggers, etc. Below is a general outline of how I apply behaviour management strategies in my Grade 3 classroom.

To gather students attention
I like to use a clap sequence, rain stick, or TRIBES strategies to gather students attention, and this seems to work well. It is important to ensure you have the attention of all your students and you wait for quiet before giving instructions, otherwise you will find yourself repeating them several times.

A lesson during instructional time
I am a very calm and patient teacher, many little things such as fidgeting, do not bother me. However, if someone is disrupting a lesson during instructional time which prevents themselves or others from learning, that is not fair or kind. I always start with a warning which is usually a non-verbal cue or the students name. If they are still disrupting the lesson I show them the number 2 and tell them if they continue they will get a note home to their parents in their agenda. I may also ask them to relocate to a different spot on the carpet if their current spot is a distraction to them. If the disruption persists, then I ask for their agenda and write a quick note to their parents. This strategy has been very effective in my class so far and I will continue to use it. Another helpful strategy which I have not had to use too much this year, is the first/then approach (ie. first finish your work then you can play on the computer for 5 minutes). The reward can be any preferred activity of the student's choice.

Independent work period/free choice period
In contrast, if there was an issue happening during a work period it would look a bit differently. First step would still be a warning. Second step, I would speak with the child 1:1 at eye level and inquire about what has happened? how can I help? and discuss what will happen if the behaviour continues (this part is difficult to do during a lesson in instructional time because there is an audience present). Third would still be a quick note home to parents in the agenda. It is important for parents to understand how their child is learning and behaving at school.


A conflict between 2 or more students
If there was a conflict between 2 or more students, I like to use the YRDSB Restorative Approach. Find out what has happened? who was affected? what were you thinking or feeling? how can we make it right? what might you do differently next time? Depending on the severity of the situation, I would document and contact parents. There are some instances where I am unable to meet with the students to resolve this issue in a timely manner and I would contact the office for EA support. Our Educational Assistants at our school are really supporting and skilled in managing conflict resolution. 

CPI Support
In the event that the student has escalated their behaviour and are now harming themselves or others or may be threatening themselves or others, I would just call the office for CPI support. CPI would also be called if a student is displaying signs that they may be escalating. It is important to check if your students have a Safety Plan or Individual Action Plan and respond accordingly. 

Thank you for reading! A New Year Reflection blog post is coming shortly!

~Mrs. Rose Marcelli-Najafi, OCT, RECE